Museum Overview

Our house was built in 1869 by John Smith, an officer of the Cambridge Valley Bank. In 1881, it was sold to William McKie whose daughter, Katherine, inherited it in 1901. She was a graduate of the Emma Willard School in Troy, NY, a Chapter of DAR, Director of the Mary McClellan Hospital and founder of the hospital's Women's Auxiliary. The house was sold in 1929 to the McFarland family who deeded it to the Cambridge Historical Society.

The house is a splendid example of period architecture, featuring a mansard roof, wrap around verandah and ornate exterior moldings. The front door contains leaded glass windows and opens into a spacious hallway, which features both a beautifully curved stairway leading to the upper floors and a period, framed, floor-to-ceiling mirror with a marble shelf.

McClellan family paintings
Children's Room
Children's room
Period Swords
Military uniforms
Civil War Drum

Rooms in the museum include displays of 19th century Cambridge-made Barton Furniture, Revolutionary and Civil War memorabilia, fire fighting exhibits, as well as early china, pewter, glassware and antique kitchen utensils. In period examples of 19th century textiles: quilts, homespun coverlets and bedding, period clothing and accessories. Upstairs rooms include a beautiful period master bedroom, a children's room and a resource room.